Getting ready: Your Body
The Tour O The Borders sportive event takes place over some of the most scenic and challenging roads in the Scottish Borders. With this in mind it would be advisable that each participant be in reasonable shape/fitness to take part in and enjoy this classic event.
Watch out for our monthly newsletters, which will include:
- training tips
- instalments of the training plan
- suggested local rides (i.e. Skinny Tweed)
Why not try out our training rides and experience some of the local hospitality at the same time?
Three great training rides to try – download the maps!
With thanks to:
Phil Mack of Peebles Physio
Tour O The Borders Zwift Nights – Every Wednesday from 7-8pm
Zwift is a turbo trainer app that enables you to link your smart turbo trainer up to your computer, your tablet and phone, letting you ride with other cyclists in a virtual environment. It has been taking the cycling world by storm lately! Zwift claim it’s ‘a digital destination for fitness, fun, and adventure’
In the Scottish Borders, we are lucky enough to have some of the best riding in the whole of the UK on our doorstep, and for many who sign up to ride the Touro, this is one of the main reason they come to ride the event. But a lot of riders are also spread far and wide, so it isn’t as easy as a quick spin from your back door.
So we decided, what better way to bring us all together and link up a Touro ride with everyone across the UK and beyond?
Our first evening was such a success, we have decided to make it a regular weekly feature. The evenings will led by our event fitness and training expert Phil Mack (Peebles Physiotherapy) on every Wednesday at 7pm. Come join the ride, wherever you are!
If you have a ‘smart’ turbo trainer (and a bike!), then there’s nothing to stop you!
- Set up
- You will need to set up an account with Zwift and have the necessary hardware (laptop, smart trainer, ANT+ stick and a bike). Zwift costs $8 per month with the first 14 days trial free.
- To communicate with other TOTB riders you will need to download the Discord app to your smart phone.
- Here is a link to help setting up: Zwift
- Riding with the TOTB group
- The first raining ride will be on Wednesday evening from 7-8pm.
- When you drop into the programme, cycle to the start/finish banner (about 300-400 meters down the road) and wait just after the start line.
- Make sure you add TOTB to your name to identify you as one of the group. You can do this once you have logged in by going to the menu where you will see your profile and can edit your name to add TOTB.
- The ride will start at 7.01pm. The leader will identify himself and explain the plan for the evenings training. This is a training ride so we plan to keep everyone together. When there is a harder effort (normally up the climbs) the group will slow down to allow slower riders to catch up.
- As per outside riding, if you closely follow another rider you will benefit from drafting which will make it easier for you. You can also use the riding benefit icons which renew each time you go through a start/finish line. These will also give you short term drafting benefits.
- Using Discord
- Below is a link you will need to use to join Discord so that you can talk with the other riders during the Touro evening; https://discord.gg/UcvzGj3
- Simply copy this into your search engine address bar and join TOTB. This is a permanent link so it won’t expire
- From here enter what you would like to be called and press “continue”
- If you are not already registered with with Discord, click “skip” and it will take you through to the group
- You will see a button which should say “push to talk”. When you want to talk press and hold the button. Then release to be able to hear others.
- It is recommended to use earphones as the sound from your phone is very quiet with Discord
We look forward to riding with you!
Tour O The Borders Training Plan 2017
Back by popular demand for 2017 – the Tour O The Borders Training Plan.
We’ve been working with Phil Mack from Peebles Physiotherapy on a 16 week training plan, aimed at people who are pushed for time. It will give you the confidence to feel fit and prepared for a big ride like the Touro.
Be sure to keep an eye below for the latest weekly plans -
It’s highly advisable and important that all riders have their bicycle in good roadworthy condition for taking part in the Tour O The Borders event.
All bikes should have a tune-up or service carried out a reputable cycle shop before event .
Key Bike Points On The Day
- Sensors, Bottle Cages, and Pumps are all in place and fitted.
- Tyres are inflated to correct pressure.
- Handlebars/Stem/Brake levers are not slack and are in position.
- Saddle is tight and at correct height and position.
- Wheels are not rubbing on brakes after installing.
- Front and rear quick release skewers are tight.
Tour O The Borders event essentials (don’t forget)!
- Arm and Leg warmers
- Waterproof jacket
- Water bottles
- Energy gels/powders/food etc
- Puncture repair kit
- Spare tubes
- Pocket tools
- Cycle computer
- Sun block
- Chamios cream
- Mobile phone
- Route card or map
On the evening before the event…
- Eat carbohydrates 3-4hrs before going to bed pasta/rice/bread etc
- Hydrate water/sports supplements
- Get a good nights sleep
On the day of the event…
- Try and eat 2hrs before then eat and drink 30minutes before event – energy drink, bananas etc
- Eat and drink at regular intervals throughout the event (you must stay fuelled for body to work at optimum efficiency).
- Don’t go off at too fast a pace that you are not going to maintain it is not a wise thing to do (listen to your body) during the event set a comfortable pace and try not to get swept up into higher pace setting when being passed by other riders stick to your individual plan of taking part finishing and above all enjoying The Tesco Bank Tour O The Borders!
New for early 2017 – Win eight months of personal training to get you ready to ride the Touro! (Entries now closed)
Think you’re not fit enough to take on a challenge like this, or just don’t have it in you to do it? You’ll be amazed at yourself. We’re offering someone the chance to be personally trained one to one from February until the event in September. Training will be provided by ex-pro athlete and all-round physic/fitness guru Phil Mack, whose Physio clinics are the go-to for cyclists and athletes around the Borders and beyond.
We were little overwhelmed at the enormous response we had to to our recent I CAN TOURO competition for this year! We are so grateful that so many people entered the competition and laid bare their lives to us – it must have taken a great deal of courage for all of you! Although the sheer calibre of entries made it hard work for us to choose one person, but we were able to chose a winner! Introducing the 2017 I CAN TOURO winner – Katy
You can follow her progress over the course of her gruelling training program here
Photo credit: Ian Linton