It’s highly advisable and important that all riders have their bicycle in good roadworthy condition for taking part in the Tour O The Borders event.
All bikes should have a tune-up or service carried out a reputable cycle shop before event .
Key Bike Points On The Day
- Sensors, Bottle Cages, and Pumps are all in place and fitted.
- Tyres are inflated to correct pressure.
- Handlebars/Stem/Brake levers are not slack and in position.
- Saddle is tight and at correct height and position.
- Wheels are not rubbing on brakes after installing.
- Front and rear quick release skewers are tight.
Tour O The Borders event essentials (don’t forget)!
- Arm and Leg warmers
- Waterproof jacket
- Water bottles
- Energy gels/powders/food etc
- Puncture repair kit
- Spare tubes
- Pocket tools
- Cycle computer
- Sun block
- Chamios cream
- Mobile phone
- Route card or map
The Tour O The Borders sportive event takes place over some of the most scenic and challenging roads in the Scottish Borders. With this in mind it would be advisable that each participant be in reasonable shape/fitness to take part in and enjoy this classic event.
On the evening before the event…
- Eat carbohydrates 3-4hrs before going to bed pasta/rice/bread etc
- Hydrate water/sports supplements
- Get a good nights sleep
On the day of the event…
- Try and eat 2hrs before then eat and drink 30minutes before event – energy drink, bananas etc
- Eat and drink at regular intervals throughout the event (you must stay fuelled for body to work at optimum efficiency).
- Don’t go off at too fast a pace that you are not going to maintain it is not a wise thing to do (listen to your body) during the event set a comfortable pace and try not to get swept up into higher pace setting when being passed by other riders stick to your individual plan of taking part finishing and above all enjoying The Tour O The Borders!
Photo credit: Kevin Maclean