Tour O’ The Borders, Sunday 14 April 2013
Here are the results for this year’s event. The weather created more than a few challenges for the timing system as well as the riders. Please let us know if there’s any problems with it. Thanks to Finishline Timing for their work in sifting data, dealing with lost power and battling the elements.
IMPORTANT: If you’ve entered the 2013 event, please download and read the following pdf it contains useful (and some essential!) info for the event.
Event safety is our number one concern, and everything is being put in place to ensure you have a fantastic day out on the bike. Riders will be started in waves and everyone is given an approximate start time slot. All the people doing the shorter course will start at roughly the same period, and the longer course riders will be allocated a time slot grouped with other riders who entered around the same time. So if you entered with your mates you’ll all get the same start time.
Here’s a spreadsheet file for everyone’s start times. It has an alphabetical and a start time list. The PDF version is alphabetical.
DOWNLOAD START TIMES SPREADSHEET
Event is sold out. Full event info, parking and facilities info will be available here shortly.
Start/finish: Peebles High School, Springwood Road, Peebles EH45 9HB
Distance: 112kms/70 miles, or shorter sportive 80km/49miles
Total ascent: 1465m/4800ft, shorter route 1114m/3654ft
Entry cost: £35 (Includes event T shirt and goody bag)
Open to riders aged between 18 and 80 years old. No licence required.
The event will start and finish in the Borders town of PEEBLES, start town for the 2011 Tour of Britain, and centre for all manner of cycling pleasure. The ‘Tour o’ route will travel, mainly over quiet back roads, in and out of three main valleys and climb several stiff hills in this beautiful part of Scotland. The ride is over a distance of approx 112kms and will be of a challenging but rewarding nature – with climbs such as Witchy Knowe, Ashkirk Heights and Berry Bush to name a few. The shorter route is approx 80km, and uses much of the main route, with a short-cut to make the shorter sportive distance. The short route is still a proper challenge, with tough climbs and some cracking scenery to take your mind off the efforts.
Please note this is not a closed road circuit, but it will be clearly signposted throughout.
The event will start and finish at Peebles High School, where full changing and shower facilities will be available. Catering will be provided on site and free car parking is available.
- Sign on is at Peebles High School, on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.
- Saturday 2pm – 7pm // Sunday 6.30am – 8.30am
- You must sign on to receive your timing chip.
- First riders start 7.30am, last rider out by 9.45am. Riders leave in waves with 5 – 15 min gaps between rider groups.
- All riders have timing chip. All riders’ times are logged and available at the finish. All results posted on event website asap after the event.
- All riders must complete the course by 4pm.
- A sweeper vehicle and tech/service support will be on course.
- Course map/Route Card will be provided on sign-on, and will show feed zones, toilets/water stops.
T&Cs: Rules and event regulations
- Registration is only available through the system on this website.
- Due to high demand, Pre-entry will close at midnight on 1st March – there will be NO PLACES AVAILABLE ON THE DAY for 2013.
- Over 18s only.
- If the registered starter cannot attend the event, they have no right to reclaim the registration fee. No rider may use another’s rider’s event number.
If the safety of riders and staff becomes an issue we may have to cancel an event, or if we have to cancel the event for reasons outwith our control, this will be announced on our website as soon as possible before the event, and riders will receive a refund minus an admin fee.
If an event is cancelled due to adverse or dangerous conditions any time after 17.00 on the Thursday before the event we will refund a percentage of the entry fee taking in account any outlaid costs.
Every rider will get a number board. Number plates must be fixed on the handlebars and must be readable throughout the competition.
Feed and water stations will be available along the course, but all riders are responsible to supply sufficient food to complete the ride.
Bikes, safety, courtesy, common sense
- This event is on quiet roads, but they are NOT closed to vehicles. Signage will be in place along the entire course warning traffic of the event, but riders are always responsible for their own safety.
- Every rider is responsible for their bike and equipment. The condition, quality and construction should be suitable to ensure the safety of riders or other persons.
- Helmets are compulsory and must be done up properly at all times when cycling. They must be in good condition.
- No unconventional handlebars allowed, including triathlon bars, aero bars, clip-ons, prayer bars, Spinaci bars and cow bars. Bar end plugs must be fitted.
- All competitors must sign on and pick up their event number and timing chip before riding the course.
- If you retire for any reason please inform an event official.
- All instructions given by event officials must be observed.
- Entries will be taken online and will be given on a first come first served basis.
- All equipment used at an event must be fit for purpose and ridden / used at riders own risk.
- Riders must cycle on the left, and be courteous and aware of other cyclists around you. You must allow faster riders to pass you.
- Riders must obey all event marshals’ and event officials’ instructions.
- Use of a mobile phone while cycling is not permitted, you must pull to the roadside and stop if you wish to make/receive a phone call.
- Use of a music player or other similar device with headphones is not permitted.
- The Borders are beautiful, these roads are a haven for cyclists and other nature. Don’t drop any litter.
- The event will take place regardless of bad weather, unless the organisers deem there is a safety concern. If the event is stopped or re-routed for reasons of safety, there will be no refund available.
- The organisers will endeavor to give all entrants a time derived from the electronic timing chip system provided. However, they are not responsible in the unlikely event of fault in the electronic timing system.
- Toilets are available along the route, and marked on the course map. Please use them and respect local residents and the area.
- Our event motto is ‘respect, wisdom & honesty’ – from yourself and towards fellow riders.
Riders attend the event on their own account and at their own risk. The rider is responsible for the safety of his bike and clothes. The organization is not responsible and cannot be held responsible for any injuries and/or damages as results of any action during the event.
The organisers reserve the right to disqualify any rider in breach of any of these regulations.
This agreement starts with the entry. The organisation reserves the right to make any necessary changes or even to cancel the whole event according to safety problems at any time, official orders, government laws or other unforeseen events.
Protests against the result or disqualifications should be addressed to the Event Organisers.
Waiver of liability
Every rider understands and admits that his participation in the event is voluntary. He assumes full responsibility for any injuries or damages from his participation in the event. He recognises and understands that the activities may be hazardous, that his participation is solely at his own risk and that he assumes full responsibility for any resulting injuries and damages that may occur.
Every rider affirms, that he is in good health. He declares that he is physically fit and capable to participate in the event.
Every rider has to acknowledge that he has read and understand this entire waiver of liability and agrees to be legally bound by it.
The event officials hold the right to withdraw starters if they feel there is a danger for the starter or any other person.
Data Protection Act 1998
By submitting an application to take part in an event, the participants also allow the event organisers to use personal data for campaigns and activities connected to the events. The organisers shall have unlimited rights to publish pictures of the participants; to forward these photos to press representatives and to use them for marketing activities.
By using this system to register your details, or enter an event you consent to the conditions described below:
You must be at least 18 years old to use this entry system. You may only use the system for registering your own details and for those of other friends, family and club mates who have granted their permission.
When entering an event we ask for each persons name, date of birth, gender and for any other details required by the event. When entering events on behalf of other people you must obtain their permission to provide this data before entering them.
To register for this event you must provide a valid email address so we can send you confirmation of your registration and of any entries you make. The email address supplied (and any email addresses given when registering other people) may be used by the Event Organiser to send out information about the events you enter. It may also be used by them for up to twelve months after the event ends to send follow-up information about the event / membership and any future events / memberships they may organise.
Currency of Purchase
All transactions will be conducted in Pounds Sterling. An invoice will not be supplied with the confirmation of your entry, although a confirmation email will be sent to the registered email address.
Event Cancellation or Change of Event Date
If for any reason an event is cancelled or the date has to be changed due to Force Majeure, please review the specific event details, rules and terms & conditions which have been documented by the Event Organiser. If a refund is appropriate, the participant should contact the Event Organiser.
If for any reason you are unable to attend the event refunds will be available on request as follows:
- Up to and including 14 February 2013 - full refund available
- From 15 February 2013 – 14 March 2013 inclusive – 50% refund available
- From 15 March 2013 – 31 March 2013 inclusive – 25% refund available
- From 1 Arpil 2014 – no refunds available
The personal data and entry specific information you give will be used by the Event Organisers for the purpose of processing and publishing entries and results and of maintaining membership information. We will not pass this data to any other third party. Credit and Debit card details are held solely by the Payment Service Provider and are unknown to the Event Organisers.
Photo credit: Kevin Maclean