Sunday 2nd September 2018
“I would rank the 10km from Talla to Megget Reservoir as some of the best I have ridden anywhere in the world. It’s a microcosm of what you would want from a road ride…” Cycling Active
Start / Finish: Peebles
Open to riders aged 16 years and over. No licence required.
Choice of two route lengths:
Elevation gain: 1430m
FULL ROUTE STRAVA LINK
Elevation gain: 890m
CHALLENGE ROUTE STRAVA LINK
The full 120km route is the black line, the challenge 88km route is the red line.
An average minimum speed of 16km/hr must be maintained (don’t worry – this is an easy speed to achieve).
“Stunningly beautiful… with challenging climbs and superb technical descents”
See the route review in Cycling Active Magazine, Summer 2016.
“One of the best all round rides I have done in the UK… A masterpiece in route-planning.” John Walsh, Cycling Active
Looking to enter Tour O The Borders as part of a team?
Click ‘enter event’ and follow one of the two steps below:
- If your team is not yet registered click ‘create a team’ underneath the ‘join a team’ section, enter your team name and an optional password. This way your teammates can enter their information individually; all you have to do is let them know your team registration info.
- If your team is already registered, all you have to do is search for them under ‘join a team’, click the correct team name and register for the route option of your choice.
Can’t register in Peebles the day before the event?
Have your number board and wristband posted to you in advance.
If you enter the event by the cut off date for postal entries, we can mail your number board and registration pack to you by recorded post. An additional fee applies, details below.
Starting in the Borders town of Peebles, the ‘Touro’ route will travel mainly over quiet back roads, and climb several stiff hills along the way. Challenging but rewarding, the routes (short and long) will feature some amazing natural scenery – what better way to take your mind off your efforts than by enjoying this beautiful part of Scotland!
We’re confident this is the best value-for-money closed road sportive in the country, and it’s 100% organised by local riders.
So what do you get for your money?
– A fantastic closed road ride including some of the UK’s best cycling country and awesome scenery
– Great feed stations on the route with a variety of locally-made treats, including some fantastic cake and Forsyth’s famous macaroni pies
– The best electronic chip timing system, results texted to you soon after finish
– Official souvenir for all finishers
– Mechanical support before and during the event
– Comprehensive first aid and safety provision around the course
– Water and toilet stops where you’ll most likely need them (we’re riders too!)
– A sweeper vehicle and tech/service support will be on course
– You must sign on the day before the ride to receive your timing chip UNLESS you have booked the additional postal delivery service
– Start times to be confirmed. Riders leave in waves based on their estimated finish time – faster riders first
– All riders have timing chips. All riders’ times are logged and available at the finish. All results will be posted on event website asap after the event, and individual results texted to their phone soon after they finish.
– All riders will be issued with a personal number board and wristband. Number boards must be attached to handlebars and must be readable throughout the event. Wristbands MUST be worn throughout the event for safety reasons. Riders not wearing their wristbands may be asked to leave the course.
There are two options for registration for 2018:
- Registration in person
- Advance postal registration (additional £10)
Option 1 – Registration in person
Riders must register on Saturday 1st September 2018, the day before the event (as in previous years) on Peebles Tweed Green EH45 8AP between 10am and 7pm. Riders cannot register on the morning of the event. To allow same day registration would mean we’d have to start registering people at about 1am in the morning on the Sunday – it’s just not feasible and would mean an impossibly early start for riders (and us). If you are unable to register in person yourself on Saturday 1st September, someone else can collect your rider pack for you on your behalf – they must bring a printed copy of your confirmation email, and also be able to confirm that your contact and emergency contact details are correct, and sign on your behalf.
Option 2 – Advance postal registration
Advance postal registration is an additional £10, and will only be available for riders who enter who enter by the cut off date (Sunday 29th July 2018 Midnight) – no rider packs can be sent out for riders who register after this date. This is to allow your personalised number board and timing chip to be prepared in advance. (NB; If you have registered for postal entry, the final date for refunds is Friday 17th August 2018. After this date, no refunds for postal entries will be available as your personalised pack will already have been produced and sent to you.)
*Rider packs will be sent Royal Mail Signed For Second Class, which requires a signature so will provide proof of delivery. Packs will be sent out at the end of July 2018. All riders should receive their packs by Monday 20th August 2018 – if you have not received your pack by this date, you MUST contact us (email@example.com) by Friday 24th August 2018.
A reminder will be sent to you by email to check you’ve got everything!
We will track your pack online, and check if it has been signed for. If it has NOT BEEN SIGNED FOR, we will arrange for a new rider pack to be available for you to collect at registration on Sunday EARLY MORNING before the event starts.
If you have not received your pack but do not contact us by Friday 24th August 2018 there will be a charge of £15 for a new pack at registration (early Sunday morning).
DON’T LOSE OR FORGET YOUR PACK!
If you do, there will also be a charge of £15 for a replacement. Your name will not appear on replacement numberboards.
Saturday 1st September – Registration
On Saturday 1st September parking will be on street and in existing car parks in Peebles
Sunday 2nd September – Event Day
There will be a specific event car park – the car park is situated east of Peebles off the A72, and will be clearly signposted. This car park is normally operated by a local sports club as a fundraiser and a parking charge may apply. We will confirm in the Riders’ Notes, emailed before the event.
In addition, there are existing car parks in Peebles that will be open on the day. Please note Kingsmeadows Road car park will be closed on event day.
T&Cs: Rules and event regulations
– Registration is only available through the system on this website
– Some places may be available the day before the event
– Over 16s only
– No rider may use another’s rider’s event number. If the registered starter cannot attend the event, they have no right to reclaim the registration fee – see Refund Policy section for refund info.
Advance postal registration
This is only available for riders who enter before Sunday 29th July 2018 Midnight.
Riders wishing to use this registration method MUST select this entry type (‘POSTAGE INCLUDED entry to…’) when registering online for the event, as this cannot be added on later. Advance postal registration is an additional £10.
Note: If you do not choose to have your rider pack sent to you when entering the event, but later decide you cannot collect it in Peebles on Saturday 1st September, and you would like it posted out to you, you will be charged an additional £10 (£20 total) for postage and the extra admin time and costs. In this case you must take the following steps:
1. Email us firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond with instructions
2. You will then be able to enter the event again by choosing the entry type ‘POSTAGE INCLUDED entry to…’ by Sunday 29th July 2018 Midnight.
3. Once this entry has been processed, we will then refund your initial entry minus £10 (this is the additional £10 admin charge as mentioned above)
4. Your complete rider pack will be posted out to you
Important notice for all Challenge 88 route riders (short course)!
This event has timed road closures throughout the course, and great care has been taken in planning for a safe and smooth-running event. All short course riders will start in the last start waves in Peebles, meaning even the fastest ’88’ riders will arrive at the Gordon Arms route split after the fastest long course riders have passed this point. Short course riders are not permitted onto the road before the lead vehicles and the leading long course riders have passed the Gordon Arms. This is very important for safety reasons and ensuring no riders can be on the road before closures are in place. In the case of an incident or delay on the long course, short course riders will be held at the Gordon Arms accordingly. If for any reason a short course rider arrives at the Gordon Arms before the long course riders, and wishes to carry on without waiting for lead vehicles and long course riders, they will have number boards removed and will be made aware that they are riding at their own risk, on open roads.
If for any reason you are unable to attend the event refunds will be available on request as follows:
• Up to and including 1st August 2018 – refunds available, these will be subject to a £15.00 admin fee
• From 1st August 2018 – no refunds are possible
NB; If you have registered for postal entry, the final date for refunds is Friday 20th July 2018. After this date, no refunds for postal entries will be available as your personalised pack will already have been produced and sent to you.
• Deferral of entries is not possible.
Full Terms and Conditions are available here: Tour O The Borders 2018 T&C
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
All the tickets are sold out, is there a wait list?
Yes, we operate a waiting list direct from our website www.tourotheborders.com.
Is there minimum age requirements to enter the event?
No racers under 16 years old on the day of the event permitted.
What are my transport/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Parking details will follow in participant notes that will be issued prior to event. The official car park is usually run by a local sports club and there may be a parking charge.
What’s the refund policy?
If for any reason you are unable to attend the event, refunds will be available upon request (email@example.com) as follows:
Refunds are available up to 21 days before the event – refunds will be subject to a £10.00 administration fee.
After this date, no refunds will be available.
Can I transfer ticket to another name?
Solo riders are untransferrable. Please request a refund as above. We operate a solo rider waiting list and your ticket will be allocated to the next rider on our list.
Transfers are only available until 1st August 2018.
Riders will start in waves, between 6:50am and 7:40am.
Short wave riders leave last.
But remember – it’s not a race!
Photo credit: Ian Linton